Recently I was asked to design the logo for a new recording studio in Detroit that's officially opening up. The wanted concept was something illustrative but still simple and clean. After a few sketches (which I've included below) I went with something with an isometric feel to it.
The brother Jahshua Smith finally premiered the first single off of his sophomore album The Fourth Wall. Produced by StewRAT and with assistance from crooner PhourTheLove, “Zero Gravity” sets the tone (and the stage) for the album. I’ve been given the task of acting as an art director for the album so this is one of many joints that you’ll see illustrated by me. And also here’s the SpeedComics video for it as well.
“Could it be your face I see on my computer screen…”
Originally I wanted to do the next installment of RED as a traditionally painted concept using watercolor techniques. But then I was introduced to the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil. So THAT idea will have to be saved for a Chapter Three down the road. But since I’ve been using Procreate with the new gear I wanted to see how far I could push its abilities. So I thought putting together a new mini-book would be something dope to do almost entirely using Procreate.
And that’s where COMPUTER LOVE comes in. Today our lives are so intwined with technology and love and lust is of course no exception (”Sigh, it goes down in the DMs”). So why not make art inspired by the technology we’ve embraced?
- All body types are welcomed.
- Of course you need to be 18+
- Pose however you’re most comfortable in. Submissions don’t need to be fully nude, just as long as the form of the body is shown.
- Props and backgrounds can also be utilized (especially if it goes with the theme of the certain book). The theme for COMPUTER LOVE is technology, which could include phones, computers, webcams, etc. Be as creative as you want.
- Illustrations will be anonymous unless you say otherwise. This includes any features like tattoos, etc.
- If the pictures are taken professionally, please include the name of the photographer (if it is not done by yourself).
This week I had the opportunity to fly back out to Atlanta to work with Musiq on this project that we're starting. Unfortunately on the way back my flight to Chicago for my connecting one back to Michigan got delayed and I had to do my best Tom Hanks impersonation in Chicago O'Hare all night. It was an enriching experience. I gained many friends. It was like a depressed version of summer camp with a 24-hour McDonalds.
Commissioned I illustrated as a gift for someone's fiancee and her family. I was given pictures of everyone, from her friends, family, to locations to reference from to put together into one big piece. Here are a few progress sketches below as well.
To say The Rock was just my favorite wrestler would be an understatement lol. There was a point in young Sean’s life where this guy was damn near a role model. So happy birthday to the People’s Champ, my inspiration to being fit enough so that I too can have cheat meals with twenty stacks of pancakes.